Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 34: The Turtles Hitchhike


Yesterday my wife and I watched 3 or 4 episodes of the X-Files. We're still in season 2 so they're pretty serious the whole time and some of them were kind of scary to some of us (my wife, specifically). By the time we went to bed I was pretty tired so I decided not to read. My wife finished her book yesterday and hadn't decided what to start on next, so long story short we laid down, turned the lights off and I was more than ready to go to sleep. Unfortunately the string of X-Files episodes left my wife mentally unable to sleep.

She has the problem of a run-away imagination when she gets scared. All of a sudden she was convinced that the tree outside our window was going to smash through the glass and try to grab her. Then, she said, the apartment pool was going to fill with bodies and there was going to be a ghost man in a hat standing over the bed and probably something scary under our bed waiting to grab her (besides our cat). Pretty much what it boils down to is I wasn't going to be going to sleep any time soon unless I did something.

So I did what any nice husband would do. I went out to our bookshelf and picked out a book to calm her down: The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy. I own the complete collection in one big paperback book and she's been talking about reading it for a while so I thought this would be the perfect thing to get her mind off of the scary stuff.

In the end I wound up reading it out loud to her until she was tired enough to fall asleep. I offered to do it in a British accent, but she declined which was probably smart on her part. So today with that on my mind I drew a picture of the Ninja Turtles trying to hitch a ride on a space ship. Michelangelo and Leonardo are consulting their copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide, Raph is getting ready to snap Michelangelo with his towel and Donatello is gazing wonderingly up into the sky. Notice they all have their own color-coordinated towels because those are important when hitchhiking.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now I have some very important news to discuss that is not directly related to today's post, but is extremely related to this blog as a whole. It has recently come to my attention that someone made a feature-length live-action movie based on Casey Jones. This is strictly a fan film and not affiliated with the TMNT copyright holders at all so it'll never see a wide release, but I just found out that the film makers are doing a free screening this Sunday August 14th in Austin. I'm super fuckin excited about this movie and the wife and I plan to go in costume to the viewing. Last year for Halloween we dressed as Casey Jones and April O'neil so we've already got costumes ready to go, but I'll post more about that later.

For now here is the trailer and a few links for your information. If you can't make it to the viewing they plan on putting the movie up on the website afterward, so check it out. 



One of the things I love about this trailer is that they used the score from the original live action TMNT movie. Did I already mention how excited I am for this movie? Cause I'm super excited. I'll let you know how it is on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could go with you guys this weekend, but I will have to make due with watching it online. I hope it lives up to your excitement!

    ReplyDelete