Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 51: Allie Brosh Plays Ninja Turtles with a Real Ninja Turtle


So there's this blog. No wait, not this blog, I mean this other blog. It's called Hyperbole and a Half and it's written by Allie Brosh. Maybe you've heard of it? No. I'm not surprised. It's pretty underground. Go ahead and click that link and read all of the posts. I'm gonna single-handidly make that blog famous.

I found this blog, through twitter or something, maybe 6 months ago. Then roughly 2 months ago I had a little free time at work and thought, "Hey! I should just read everything on Hyperbole and a Half because it's pretty funny." So I did.

I don't really read many blogs that aren't written by people I know because I don't spend a lot of time just surfing the web, but I do love Hyperbole and a Half. I think at least most of the reason I find it so entertaining is because Allie reminds me a lot of my wife at times. Here's an example of exactly how my wife reacts to snow. The main difference being instead of almost dying from hypothermia my wife ran out the backdoor in an excited frenzy and slipped on the iced-over stairs bruising her back pretty seriously in the process. Or how about this story about being scared of, well, everything? My wife's not scared of Orcs specifically, but the same principle applies. Maybe you remember a recent post where I had to read to her from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy before bed because she freaked herself out after watching old X-Files episodes? As a matter of fact the Hyperbole and a Half entry that directly inspired this picture is another good example of the similarities between Allie Brosh and my wife.

The picture was inspired by this post in which Allie briefly mentions playing Ninja Turtles with a friend where she was forced to be April because she's a girl while her friend got to be all the turtles simultaneously. That's not exactly the focus of her post, but it did remind me of stories my wife told me of playing Ninja Turtles at recess. She said she always had to be April and sit on the monkey bars and wait for the turtles to save her. That's bullshit. Girls can be turtles. I can't imagine a human boy's DNA is any closer to a Ninja Turtle's than a human girl's DNA. Anyway, I drew this picture of Allie playing Ninja Turtles with a real Ninja Turtle. I made her Michelangelo because she seems closer to his personality. And because he doesn't have sharp weapons, which is probably safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment