Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day 100: Tequila Shots!


Today is a landmark day for more than one reason. First and foremost today marks my 100th picture! I wanted to do something special, but in normal Turtle A Day fashion I was lazy and didn't.

This morning was special because my wife ran the Livestrong 5k in downtown Austin. She ran it in memory of all the friends and family she's lost to cancer and in honor of all the friends and family still battling. She made a shirt with a picture of her Uncle Mike, who she lost to Leukemia a few years ago, on the front and the names of other victims and survivors she collected from friends and family on the back. It was a little scary to see the shirt and realize how many people cancer has affected just in our lives.

She finished the 5k with an unofficial time of around 35 minutes and she even did it while carrying the Build-A-Bear we made for her uncle when he was in the hospital. In addition to running the race she also raised over $500 for the foundation in about a week. She did an excellent job and I'm very proud of her.

The last big news of today is that it's also our friend Shaun's birthday! They have a show tonight (Night of the Living Dead in which Shaun plays a zombie and my wife plays Judy) but afterward we're going out for a few drinks.

Shaun and my wife have a tradition of doing tequila shots together. I almost always assume the role of photographer since I'm allergic to alcohol. This tradition started about five and a half years ago at Casa Rio on the River Walk in San Antonio. They used to do a shot whenever they were in the same state together, but now that Shaun lives here it's mostly for special occasions. On our road trip to Florida a few months ago we stopped and they did shots under the Welcome to Louisiana and Welcome to Mississippi signs (it was too dark going through Alabama and Florida). Tonight we bought him a bottle of somewhat nicer tequila than what they normally drink and I think they're going to do a shot on stage in zombie make-up after the show. I don't drink so I hope he likes the bottle I bought off the recommendation of the guy at the liquor store.

Tomorrow we're getting up bright and early to help some friends move. I'll let you know how their hangovers go during the move.

No comments:

Post a Comment