Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 1: Turtles at a Shuttle Launch

Today is my first ever post on this blog! Lately I've been seeing more and more people doing "doodle-a-day" type projects, and a friend visiting last weekend even bought a "Doodle Book" (which I misheard as a doo-doo book because I am 12), so I thought, "Hey, I can do that!" Of course immediately after that I thought, "No you can't. You're a terrible artist." But you know what? My internal dialog can just shut the hell up, because I've been drawing Ninja Turtles since I was 5 and I'm pretty sure that I'm at least adequate at it by now. So here I am, posting my first Ninja Turtle drawing of at least 365.*

This drawing commemorates the historic last launch of NASA's Space Shuttle. Shuttle Atlantis launched this morning despite the fact that I obviously was not there to watch it. Thanks, NASA. Whatever. It's still a pretty awe-inspiring moment even though it would have been so much more amazing with me watching live.

Since I couldn't make it I decided to start my challenge off with a drawing of what it would have looked like if I had been there.

Also I would have been a Ninja Turtle. Donatello to be specific, because he is the best.

Also, you can't see from this angle, but I'm wearing mirrored aviators and there is a bald eagle reflected in one lens and an American flag reflected in the other because fuck yeah, America!

*I am notorious for not finishing challenges, especially if they're self-imposed. We'll see how long I keep this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment