Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 13: Teenage Mutant Ninja Suicide Machines

Today I started what I can easily see becoming a recurring theme for this blog: "The Ninja Turtles as..."

My first inspired picture has the Ninja Turtles as The Suicide Machines (or Teenage Mutant Ninja Suicide Machines if you prefer). The Suicide Machines were a punk/ska/hardcore band from Detroit, MI and were one of my favorite bands through high school and college. I still listen to them from time to time and I love everything they've released, even their more pop-centric self-titled third album. My favorite is still their 1996 major label debut, Destruction by Definition, which I discovered through Tony Hawk's Pro Skater featuring their single "New Girl." If you played that game you probably heard that song.

The Suicide Machines even contributed to my musical advancement on a practical level; some of the first songs I learned to play on bass guitar were off their first album. I idolized Royce Nunley because he was one of the few punk bassists I knew that played with his fingers instead of a pick. They combined fast punk bass lines with rhythmic ska runs, and it's still some of the most fun stuff I know how to play.

Everyone enjoy a few of my favorite songs by the one and only Suicide Machines!




No comments:

Post a Comment